Ibn al-Qayyim al-Jawziyyah
Ten means to obtain the love of Allaah
1. Recitation of the Qur’aan with reflection and understanding of its meanings and what is intended by it, as one reflects over a book which he has memorised and which he expounds so that he may understand what its author intends from him.
2. Getting closer to Allaah with the superogatory acts of worship, after the obligatory ones, for they will take him to another level of love that comes after love.
3. Constant remembrance in every circumstance by the tongue, the heart, the actions and (one’s) condition, so a person’s share of love is in accordance with his share of this remembrance.
4. Preferring His love over your own when desires overcome you and climbing to reach His love, even if the ascent is difficult.
5. The heart’s comprehension of His Names and Attributes, witnessing them and having knowledge of them, to immerse himself in the garden of this knowledge and its fundamental pillars. Whoever knows Allaah by His Names, Attributes and Actions, will, no doubt, love Him.
6. Witnessing His generosity, His benevolence, His favours and blessings, both hidden and open, for these things all call to His love.
7. And this is the most amazing of all: the heart’s total defeat and humility in front of Allaah, the Most High, and there are no other words and considerations which give expression to this meaning.
8. Being alone in the time of the Descent of Allaah (last third of the night) for having private conversations with Him, reciting His Words, investigating the heart, displaying the manners of servitude whilst in front of Him and then to seal all of that with seeking forgiveness and repentance.
9. Sitting with the truthful lovers (of Allaah) and gathering the good fruits (arising) from their speech, just as one picks out the best of fruits, and that you do not speak except when the benefit of the speech prevails and when you know that there is a betterment for you and benefit for others in it.
10. Keeping distant from everything that comes between the heart and Allaah, the Mighty and Majestic.
May Allaah make us of those who strive to love Him and are loved by Him. aameen.
From Madaarijus-Saalikeen, by Imam Ibn al-Qayyim al-Jawziyyah